21.11.10

Recap of Weekend in Lyon


Over Halloween weekend I went to Lyon to stay with an American friend of Wenonah’s who studies there (her name is Maddie and she goes to Tulane).  I had visited Lyon when I was 16 and came to France with my parents to visit Emmy, so I was really looking forward to going back.  It rained the whole time, but here are a few highlights:

    oh là là la pluie!
  • Discovering we had first class seats for the train to go there 10 minutes before we left the house.
  • Shopping in La Croix Rousse Saturday afternoon in the rain, visiting lots of chocolate shops :)
     

Maddie and me in a bakery/café

crazy lamp shop!

mmmmm:)

yes, a chocolatefall
  • Taking the funicular to and from Vieux Lyon (the old neighborhood).  It’s a train that just goes up and down a steep hill.

Wenonah and me, dancing with some new friends off the funicular
  • Dancing in a cave under a bar in Vieux Lyon Saturday night.

  • After the bar, waiting in the taxi while the driver ran after some guy, yelling at him for I don’t know what reason. I think it cost us about 30 cents.
Me and Maddie in Vieux Lyon Sunday morning for a pastry
  • Eating lunch in a restaurant/Tea shop in Vieux Lyon Sunday.  We shared a table in the basement/cave with a French couple and an Italian couple.  It was a little awkward, but enjoyable.  I tried a tomato jelly that was pretty interesting...and less tasty after I found out it was tomato.
  • Going to the Musée des Beaux Arts with Wenonah Sunday afternoon, getting a soy chai tea latté at Starbucks after, and walking all the way back to Maddie’s in the rain with only Wenonah’s broken umbrella and my not-water-proof rain jacket.  It took us about an hour, but was actually pretty fun to do some exploring.  And it was nice to have
Wenonah and her broken umbrella in the courtyard of the Musée

My favorite painting at the museum, this is what I look like eating cheese in France
  • Having at least 20 stops on our train back, which means it took about 8 hours to get back to Angers.  And the train was overbooked so there were people sitting on their luggage in the aisles and little rooms in front of the doors.

overbooked train (sorry it's blurry)

It was a really fun girls’ weekend and I always love traveling in France!  I'm obviously a little behind on the blogging, but have a few posts to come about the week my mom and dad came to visit me and just other news of Angers.
Throwback to the last time I was in Lyon with Emmy and my mommy! (me at age 16 in 2006)

1 comment:

  1. ah! i loved our trip to Lyon! Thanks for including the throwback pic. hahahaha You look so little!

    ReplyDelete